Dear Gem5-ers:

I have been trying to build Gem5 out of the box, for x86, on a VirtualBox
virtual machine set up for 64-bit Ubuntu 20.04 ("focal").  I can do

scons build/X86/gem5.opt

but it will succeed only if I disable link time optimization LTO using
--no-lto.  I've tried various versions GCC - 7, 8, 9, and 10 - and all
produce the same result.  (I think the key thing is probably something in
binutils, but I don't know what version to try to obtain, and this version of
Ubuntu does not readily offer anything other than 2.34.)

Searching the web about this general problem mostly produces the "solution" of
disabling LTO.  So, where should we / I file a bug report?  By turning on LTO
reporting, I have found that the proximal cause is that decoder.o does not
have a .debug_str section and yet there are a huge number of references to
things that should be there (labels, I guess - the decode *would* have a lot
of those!).

Regards - Eliot