Hi Jarrett,

Thanks for your reply - follow-ups in line:
On 29/11/2016 11:04, Jarrett Wold wrote:
> Hi -
> Thanks for the comments.  Please see my responses.
>
> I used the EIDR draft as a template
> (https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-pal-eidr-urn-00.txt).  Ad-ID is similar,
> but for advertisements where as EDIR is for program content.
>
>> Major Issues:
>> -------------
>>
>> This is an informative document that states "Ad-ID is the industry
>> standard..." but doesn't provide a clear normative reference to an industry
>> standard at that point. I assume that would be [SMPTERP2092-1]. If so it
>> should be referenced right there. Unfortunately it's behind a pay wall
>> (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7291518/). The IESG needs to confirm
>> whether that's acceptable.
>
>    SMPTE can readily make SMPTE RP 2092-1 available privately to IESG
> members (through a liaison).
>    Note that SMPTE and ISO exceptionally make standards available for free
> upon request.

OK, this isn't necessarily a show-stopper, but I just wanted to be sure
that the IESG is aware of the situation.

>>>   An Ad-ID Identifier consists of a unique eleven character string
>>>   or a unique twelve character string (video codes only).
>>
>> What's a "character"? ASCII or UTF-8?
>
> It is Alphanumeric. Our character coding is UTF-8.  Im not sure if this is
> needed.

Well, neither am I! As I said, I'm not a URN expert, but it seems to me
that avoiding any ambiguity by *specifying* UTF-8 would be better.
RFC5234 leaves it open:
"In certain contexts, a specific mapping (encoding) of values into a
character set (such as ASCII) will be specified."
RFC2141 section 2.2 also leaves it open by allowing for translation
from non-URN characters.

>> The informative reference [Ad-ID-INTRO] doesn't seem to know whether it's a
>> technical appendix or a reference, and the URL that it cites is unhelpful.
>> The material at http://www.ad-id.org/how-it-works/ad-id-structure seems to
>> be what is needed but partly duplicates what is in the draft. Maybe this
>> material is only given here because the actual SMPTE standard costs more
>> than $100? If so, I think it should be clearly labelled as informational
>> material and that only the SMPTE document is definitive.
>
>   This is meant to just be an introductory text for what an Ad-ID is.  That
> being said, perhaps a link to here is more relevant:
> http://www.ad-id.org/how-it-works/ad-id-structure  This is also referenced
> in SMPTE RP 2092-1

Yes, I think so. If the reader is from the SMPTE world, it may not help,
but for readers from the IETF world I think it will do so.

Regards
   Brian