> On 3/15/11 9:34 AM, Nicole Willson wrote:
>> Lastly, I had a question about Fred's statement about rules. If
>> following rules isn't that important in the beginning, how come I have
>> only gotten feedback once about what I've done wrong with date
>> formatting and never gotten a message about what I've done right on
>> Wikipedia? I've made at least 150 edits, so one of them must have been
>> good, right? Instead I get a message about date formatting (which
>> someone else could probably fix easily) and told to look at the MoS
>> (which assumes that I know that it stands for Manual of Style). It
>> seems to me that there may be a disconnect here.
>
> Yes, there is definitely a disconnect. I proposed adding some positive
> user feedback templates to the widely-used Twinkle gadget a while back,
> but was shot down due to concerns that it would be "abused"(?!). So
> instead, I created a new "WikiLove" user script and have proposed it as
> a new gadget. This script makes it just as easy to add barnstars,
> cookies, kittens, cupcakes, etc. to user talk pages as it is to add
> warning templates via Twinkle. The response to my proposal was baffling:
> "doesn't seem to have any practical purpose", "I don't think most people
> would be pleased to see an increase in barnstar-giving", "the current
> level of barnstar-giving is sufficient". Apparently the community puts
> little to no values in positive user feedback. This is probably a
> symptom of the Eternal September effect mentioned by Sue in the March
> Update. I think the culture can change, but it's going to take a
> sustained and concerted effort.
>
> Kaldari

Obviously a gendered response...

Perhaps a backslapping or high-fiving bot...

Fred


_______________________________________________
Gendergap mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap

Reply via email to