The coverage reminds one also of the sexism that continues throughout the media...

On 8/24/2011 1:31 PM, Sarah Stierch wrote:
Arnaud,

I'm assuming you're referring to the research that expresses that "girly stuff" like Sex in the City and make-up has poor coverage on Wikipedia. It's true, these things don't have good coverage on Wikipedia, and, they are often topics of interest to mainstream women.

As someone who works within the world of research (when I'm not traveling, I'm often huddled around dusty books, handwritten letters, and computers researching work for museum exhibitions), I also surround myself with women who are scholars by default due to the industry I work in. I also have no desire to write about make up, fashion, and I think Sex in the City is stupid (I'll take Annie Hall and David Lynch, thanks). So I understand :)

So, when I read these reviews and articles about "girly topics" not being covered in Wikipedia like "guy topics" I often say "yeah, it's true, but..." And I often feel like researchers are stereotyping women by using these topics as examples. For me, it's more disturbing knowing that the majority of editors to the menstrual cycle article are men. It's weird, actually, to me. Funny, weird, and, well...weird. I think the same goes for the article vagina? I don't remember.

I assure you, just because some blogs, and researchers are emphasizing that "girly topics" are not being covered, doesn't mean that staff and volunteers (like me) aren't concerned about Wikimedia content as whole when it comes to women contributing. For me, it's about encouraging people to contribute quality content about things they love, no matter what it is. And I assume I'm not the only genetic female who often goes "ugh" about Sex in the City and Kate Middleton's wedding dress. (They have their place, but, it's not in my repertoire). (Sorry to any women on this list who are fans, it's just...not my thing.)

For me, the goal is about encouraging women to contribute to Wikimedia projects in whatever ways they wish, about whatever topic they wish. And if it's about soap operas and lipgloss, so be it. And if it's about punk rock and nuclear fission, even better!

-Sarah

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Arnaud HERVE <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    Maybe I am too theoretical, or too closely linked with the world of
    education, but it seems to me that there might be a confusion on that
    list about the kind of participation to encourage.

    The kind of women I know are mostly teachers, or doctors, or work in
    research institutes. They are perfectly able to write about scientific
    subjects, and it seems to me that kind of participation would benefit
    the cause more than stating they need to see girly stuff to feel
    entitled to participate. They are not teenagers.

    For instance an article about the pelagic ecosystem doesn't seem to me
    very gender-oriented.

    And for personal preferences there are personal blogs...

    Arnaud


_______________________________________________
Gendergap mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap

Reply via email to