On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 13:00, Fred Bauder <fredb...@fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> On 17/09/2011 20:14, Fred Bauder wrote:
>>> A lot of this surgery is cosmetic surgery, thus it is a matter of
>>> taste,
>>> not a matter of dysfunction or normality. And, usually, is quite
>>> private
>>> and nobody's business.
>>
>>  From an average citizen's point of view, certainly. From a parent's,
>> educator's or non cosmetic doctor point of view, I doubt so.
>>
>> As I said previously, I am not a doctor, but I am regularly employed as
>> a geek placing photos on the local medical faculty's website. I
>> understand most people will be shocked by a sense of decency vs
>> obscenity here, but for me I almost sigh with relief by seeing something
>> perfectly healthy. And although I am not a doctor I am not sure this
>> kind of labia should be shown as something in need of surgery.
>>
>> Now about teenage girls with normal organs who demand surgery as their
>> free personal choice, I know it creates quite a lot of trouble in
>> families, with sometimes a huge loss of money for average income
>> parents, or severe behaviour problems for the girl who doesn't get her
>> surgery.
>>
>> I also believe that the quest for a "perfectly" formatted body is part
>> of the objectification of women.
>>
>> And last, for the cognitive or educational aspect, it should be
>> emphasized that non top model or non porn actress bodies are normal.
>>
>> Arnaud

I would say the bottom line for Wikipedia is that we need responsible
medical sources saying that an image depicts something outside a
"normal" range. By responsible, I mean sources not seeking business,
but regular physicians writing peer-reviewed articles -- secondary
sources, i.e. review articles -- about this kind of procedure.

At least that way we would know we weren't misleading women and young
girls into thinking they lie outside the range when in fact they're
perfectly normal.

Sarah