Generally, we do okay.  Several of these articles are battlefields,
however.  You can see the fallout of a current one here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Incidents#AndyTheGrump

and the history of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Manning and its
talk page.

While my impression here is entirely empiric, I suspect that the various
WMF projects do a fairly good job in the LGBT topic area because so many of
our volunteers bring personal experience to the table (either being LGBT or
LGBT-friendly).  Or to put it more prosaically, most of us don't care who
sleeps with whom.

Risker/Anne