I have to say that I think a topic such as Imlay, with literally centuries
of scholarship is not really comparable to the recentism that is an article
on a Twitter account, whether Bieber's or Gaga's.

LadyofShalott/ Aleta Turner

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Nathan <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Laura Hale <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>
>> Been there.  Done that.  It isn't only women's topics. Because Justin
>> Bieber is unpopular and actively disliked by some people,  (Though I guess
>> you could argue this example relates to a topic of interest to many young
>> girls) there was an attempt to merge
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Bieber_on_Twitter in
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Bieber , with
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Justin_Bieber#Merger_proposal making
>> it clear the reason is "I don't like this."  The article had about 100
>> sources around the time the article was nominated for merge.  Lady Gaga,
>> the most followed person on Twitter and woo hoo female to boot! has had
>> other people ask why the article isn't deleted.  See
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Lady_Gaga_on_Twitter#Request_for_deletion:_Is_this_page_really_relevant.3F.
>>  I have another topic I wrote on where the regional women's stuff should
>> be generic to all women playing the sport or to the region. If neither
>> article currently exist, [[WP:SOFIXIT]] by creating the new and relevant
>> articles.
>>
>> Information is power and what is on Wikipedia has the potential to shape
>> greater understanding around issues.  Thus, a battle for what should and
>> should not be there.
>>
>
> Wow, YMMV, but I think it's really odd to have whole long articles devoted
> to a Twitter account. What is and isn't broken out from "main topic"
> articles is often controversial, whether criticism sections or detailed
> information on specifically consequential periods, but an article on a
> Twitter account is an outlier in my reading experience.
>
> One of the arguments on the talk page for Fanny Imlay was that the sources
> cited included information about her only incidentally in the course of
> covering other people, as opposed to being primarily about her (presumably
> with the exception of the biography). I don't know enough about the subject
> or the sources to know if this is the case, but it's an argument that might
> apply to "Justin Bieber on Twitter." The articles discussing his Twitter
> usage are really about Justin Bieber and his behavior, not his Twitter
> account. See for example[1], a short mention in Ashton Kutcher's bio about
> his Twitter use. Kutcher is also among the most prominent users of that
> service in its history, but there is no article devoted to it. Rather than
> seeing the merge proposal as an example of "I don't like it," I think the
> fact that it failed demonstrates the power of a gigantic fanbase to distort
> normal practice on a wiki.
>
>
> ~Nathan
>
> [1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashton_Kutcher#Twitter_presence
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gendergap mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap
>
>


-- 
"Sometimes a tree is actually a deer with twelve horns, standing on a
hillock that houses a bird's nest."

from _The Night Life of Trees_, by Bhajju Shyam, Durga Bai, and Ram Singh
Urveti, Tara Publishing, 2006
_______________________________________________
Gendergap mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap

Reply via email to