On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Theo10011 <de10...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Outside prosecutors can not prosecute, or charge any editor based on their
> username, whether its User:someguy542 or User:Ladiesman232, there is no
> real world link without the IP records.

Firstly, that's not the sort of reasoning a charitable foundation should
rely on. It makes for bad PR.

Secondly, it is often relatively trivial to identify people. You'll
remember that the person who posted the Seigenthaler hoax was identified
from his IP, and lost his job (I think he got it back afterwards, when
Seigenthaler took pity on him and spoke to his employer). Furthermore, many
established Commonists and Wikipedians either disclose their real names on
mailing lists and/or their user pages, have pictures of themselves on
Commons from Wikimania or other Wikimedia events, or are otherwise
trivially identifiable. Take the recent Beta M case, for example.

Yes, an anonymous uploader who made only one edit from an Internet café may
escape scrutiny. Although the other day I came across one uploader who had
inadvertently uploaded geolocation data from his mobile phone along with
his image, identifying the precise street address of the bedroom in Germany
where the image was taken ... many mobile phones these days include
geolocation in their metadata.