On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:47 AM, Russavia <russavia.wikipe...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Would you feel that is sufficient? This would make it clearer that
> editors
> > are expected to obtain subject consent before uploading images taken in
> > private situations to Wikimedia websites.
>
> Define "private situations".
>
> Thank you.

It may be helpful if I quote the entire resolution, as the word "private"
occurs several times in it:

---o0o---

The Wikimedia Foundation Board affirms the value of freely licensed
content, and we pay special attention to the provenance of this content. We
also value the right to privacy, for our editors and readers as well as on
our projects. Policies of notability have been crafted on the projects to
limit unbalanced coverage of subjects, and we have affirmed the need to
take into account human dignity and respect for personal privacy when
publishing biographies of living persons.

However, these concerns are not always taken into account with regards to
media, including photographs and videos, which may be released under a free
license although they portray identifiable living persons in a private
place or situation without permission. We feel that it is important and
ethical to obtain subject consent for the use of such media, in line with
our special mission as an educational and free project. We feel that
seeking consent from an image's subject is especially important in light of
the proliferation of uploaded photographs from other sources, such as
Flickr, where provenance is difficult to trace and subject consent
difficult to verify.

In alignment with these principles, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of
Trustees urges the global Wikimedia community to:

   - Strengthen and enforce the current Commons guideline on photographs of
   identifiable
people<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Photographs_of_identifiable_people>
with
   the goal of requiring evidence of consent from the subject of media,
   including photographs and videos, when so required under the guideline. The
   evidence of consent would usually consist of an affirmation from the
   uploader of the media, and such consent would usually be required from
   identifiable subjects in a photograph or video taken in a private place.
   This guideline has been longstanding, though it has not been applied
   consistently.
   - Ensure that all projects that host media have policies in place
   regarding the treatment of images of identifiable living people in private
   situations.
   - Treat any person who has a complaint about images of themselves hosted
   on our projects with patience, kindness, and respect, and encourage others
   to do the same.

Approved 10-0.

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Images_of_identifiable_people

---o0o---

The proposed change is merely to add the words "on Wikimedia sites" in the
sentence "We feel that it is important and ethical to obtain subject
consent for the use of such media *on Wikimedia sites*, in line with our
special mission as an educational and free project."

COM:IDENT explores this in more detail, speaking of a "reasonable
expectation of privacy":

---o0o---

The *right of privacy* is the right to be left alone and not to be made the
subject of public scrutiny without consent. The right to privacy is
enshrined in several international laws though the details with regard to
photographs vary from country to country. Images must not unreasonably
intrude into the subject's private or family life.

The law on privacy concerning photographs can be crudely divided into
whether the photograph was taken in a private or public place. A *private
place* is somewhere the subject has a reasonable expectation of privacy and
a *public place* is somewhere where the subject has no such expectation.
The terms are unrelated to whether the land is privately or publicly owned.
For example, a tent on a beach is a private place on public land and a
concert is a public place on private property. A place may be publicly
accessible but still retain an expectation of privacy concerning
photography, for example a hospital ward during visiting hours. Whether the
place is private or not may also depend on the situation at the time: for
example that same hospital ward would have been a public place during a
tour before it opens.

In the United States (where the Commons servers are located), consent is
not as a rule required to photograph people in public places and publish
those photos. Hence, unless there are specific local laws to the contrary,
overriding legal concerns (e.g., defamation) or moral concerns (e.g.,
picture unfairly obtained), the Commons community does not normally require
that an identifiable subject of a photograph taken in a public place has
consented to the image being taken or uploaded. This is so whether the
image is of a famous personality or of an unknown individual.

In many countries the subject's consent *is* needed to just take a picture,
and/or to publish it and/or to use it commercially *even if the person is
in a public place*. Further nuances may include the age of the subject,
what the subject is doing at the time, whether the subject is famous,
whether the image concerns news of public interest, etc. See Commons:Country
specific consent
requirements<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Country_specific_consent_requirements>
for
details.

Because of the expectation of privacy, the consent of the subject should
normally be sought before uploading any photograph featuring an
identifiable individual that has been taken in a private place, whether or
not the subject is named. Even in countries that have no law of privacy,
there is a moral obligation on us not to upload photographs which infringe
the subject's reasonable expectation of privacy.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:IDENT#The_right_of_privacy

---o0o---

That seems like quite an adequate description.

Andreas