>Actually, I think there's something to be said for downvoting. Not in the
>reddit "i disagree" sense, but in the slashdot/ >meta filter "comments
>downvoted/flagged past a certain point will be hidden/deleted" sense. It would
>obviously take a >lot of work to make that work within the media wiki software
>*and* the Wikimedia ethos, but it would probably save >tons of grief and
>derails if the worst of the worst comments were limited by crowdsourced review.
On the popular liberal/progressive website Daily Kos, the equivalent of
downvoting, “hide rec”’ing, is meant to be used only for really offensive or
out-of-line comments. Abusing that function, i.e., by constantly doing it to
the same user or similar opinions reasonably expressed, can lead to sanctions
against your account.
Daniel Case