On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 7:39 AM, Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight <
rosiestep.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A big thank you to Netha for conducting the interview, and thanks to this
> list group for your support.  I don't edit in a vacuum so knowing you are
> in my wikilife is important to me. Again, thank you.
>
> Will my interview inspire more women to edit?  Don't know.  But I do know
> we need the press to spin out more positive stories about wikiwomen and why
> we edit and how we work it into our lives.  The HufPo interview and the
> Slate GGTF piece were published on the same day.  If a woman read both
> articles, how would it affect her decision to click the edit button? ...
> and if the reader were a man, how would it affect his decision?  It would
> be interesting if citizen-journalists posted some youtubes asking Joe
> Public to read the 2 articles and then give an opinion on how likely they
> would be to click Wikipedia's edit button.  This may be a good idea for an
> IEG... how press coverage of Wikipedia effects the decision to click the
> edit button. It interests me; would it interest others?  Has it been done?

Interesting idea - I understand that some folks in the past have worried
that talking about either the gender gap or editor decline in the press
would make the issue worse, rather than encourage more people to get
involved. One of the things Sarah and I talked about when the WikiWomen's
Collaborative started was a desire to raise up more stories of real
wikiwomen. I'm not sure how one would actually research a question like
this, or if similar studies have been done for other communities in the
past, but if you're interested why not start writing up the idea in IdeaLab
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab> and see where it goes?

--
Siko Bouterse
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.