Hmm. I stopped editing the Dutch Wikipedia because it just wasn't any fun
anymore. I would never say I experienced barriers to entry or that there
were barriers to continued participation. It is more that there was a
continuous vacuum of silence that made participation feel like I was on an
island all of the time. I was never invited to the discussion table on any
specific subject, and if I stumbled across one, once there, my replies to
statements were never answered directly, but indirectly in replies to
others. I was never addressed personally and asked for an opinion. That
doesn't happen regularly on Commons or the English Wikipedia either, but I
feel much less on an island in bth of those projects and much more a part
of a community. Any contribution I made to an ongoing discussion on the
Dutch Wikipedia just stopped the discussion altogether or was simply
ignored. I vaguely remember a few deletion discussions where my objections
were brushed off with ridiculous arguments - so ridiculous that I wouldn't
know what to reply in all seriousness. Of course I can't back this up with
diffs and it is just a feeling, but it's because of the feeling that I
stopped contributing. I guess I also got tired of always linking to
redlinks in my area of interest - there are just more people working in my
area of interest on the English Wikipedia, so that I feel I can lean more
on the work of others.