On Mar 5, 2015 6:22 AM, "Katherine Casey" <fluffernutter.w...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If memory serves, another survey (not sure if before or after the 9%, or
where to find it, off the top of my head - maybe someone else remembers?)
came up with something like 13% female. So my guess is they added in some
margin of error, and decided "less than 20%" was the most accurate way to
characterize "maybe 9% or 13% or something in that vicinity, give or take
some percentage points".

This, exactly. "Maybe 8.5, 13 or even 16% or so depending on the
methodology" doesn't fit on a banner, where brevity is key. We simply don't
have one good precise stat that I'm comfortable citing succinctly, other
than "its complicated, and under 20%, and still a problem." I don't expect
the 2012 editor survey results will give us much more, honestly, than we
already know. I'd like to see us working towards a 2015/6 stat though,
preferably via repeatable methods that allow for tracking trends over time
:)

Would be great to see some additional ways of thinking about measuring the
gap, too, as folks like Max Klein have done with Wikidata. Research
proposals are welcome in this campaign.

Siko

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Neotarf <neot...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Where does the "less than 20%" number come from?  The last survey I see
is
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/December_2011_Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_topline.pdf
this one from 2011.  On page 34 the numbers break down to 90% male, 9%
female, 1% transgender.

>> Sure 9% is "less than" 20%, but it is also "less than" 70% or 100%.
This seems really misleading about the scope of the problem.

>> Is there more recent research that has been released, that would justify
the use of the 20% number? The last I heard, we were still waiting for the
results of the 2012 survey.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_2012

>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Alex Wang <aw...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Wikimedians,
>>>

>>> Today we are pleased to announce the launch of the Inspire Campaign in
IdeaLab!

>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Inspire
>>>

>>> This campaign aims to encourage, foster, and support new ideas for
improving gender diversity on Wikimedia projects. Less than 20% of
Wikimedia contributors are women, and many important topics are still
missing in our content. We invite all Wikimedians to participate in the
campaign on Meta-wiki by sharing your ideas, skills and feedback, and by
helping to spread the word in your local communities. The campaign runs
until March 31.

>>> All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions,
community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new!
Grants are available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects developed
during this campaign that need financial support. Constructive, positive
feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your
skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life.  We
hope experienced community members will also watch the IdeaLab pages to
help keep the discussions positive and constructive. Join us at the Inspire
Campaign and help our projects better represent the world’s knowledge!