>Why not go a step further, and allow people to specifically permit which users
>can contact them by e-mail? Anyone else can contact them on their talkpage,
>the preferred method of communication in any case.

I, too, give a big +1 to this specifically and the concept in general.

Admins already have a slight version of this ability in the “prevent this user
from sending email” option under the block menu. I must admit that in my more
active days with the mop I have found it quite useful to add “without right of
correspondence” (dark historical associations notwithstanding) to the block
message in the case of some users.

Daniel Case