creating a GitBox/GitHub test repository is easy: it's self service [1]
You'll get an empty Git repository that is read/write both from GitBox and
GitHub: you'll be able to do the tests you want. The only little issue is that
future delete of this test repo won't be self service...

Independently from GitBox/GitHub tests, you can ask INFRA to get a read-only
svn2git mirror, that will prepare the whole Attic site svn history as Git
history, to not loose the history if you decide to finally migrate fully to Git

Regards,

Hervé

[1] https://gitbox.apache.org/