Hi,

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 6:40 AM Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl> wrote:
>   ... This name change is exactly what POI wanted to avoid ;
>    XMLbeans users want (maven-name-space) continuity ; not change.
>    The fact that XMLbeans is "under new management" should not be
>    visible to users ; project management stuff is an ASF-internal
>    thing...

Ok, I think this is where we see things from a different angle.

I agree with you from the user's perspective, a seamless change is useful.

>From the Foundation's governance point of view however, by default a
project found at foo.apache.org is governed by the foo PMC. If that's
not the case, like here, I think there should be a clear note like
"XMLBeans is managed by the Apache POI PMC" on all pages of
http://xmlbeans.apache.org/ . A small thing in the site's footer is
good enough IMO.

The Board has to manage about 180 PMC and 300 projects if i remember
correctly, so it's important to have clarity there. It's a small thing
that can be added to the Attic's documentation on how to revive
codebases.

As for having a Board decision when reviving a project, that probably
makes sense for symmetry with the Board resolution that moved the
project to the Attic. But I don't think the Board necessarily needs to
be involved in the discussions that lead to that resolution, I think
the Attic PMC can simply add a resolution to the Board agenda as
needed, and the Board just ratifies it.

HTH,
-Bertrand