Three things:
(1) The trailing wildcard index contains exactly entries for words that
begin with certain 3+ character sequences, so "murd*" would be a single
term lookup that will match murd, murdy, murds, etc.
(2) The three character wildcard index is actually capable of
distinguishing a 3 character sequence at the start of a word from one at
the end or in the middle of the word and query resolution will take care
of this.
(3) Wildcard query formulation is complex and subject to a lot of
heuristics. Turning on a codepoint word lexicon can be useful as well,
particularly for complex wildcard patterns. Positions will matter for
phrases and wildcards within element or proximity query contexts.
xdmp:plan is a good tool for telling you exactly how a particular wildcard
(or any other) query will be resolved.

//Mary