Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

there are a few projects that gump builds that are not ASF projects and
are not used by any ASF project. I think the ASF already has enough
things to build for ourselves and gump is not a public service.

I hear you, but since Gump was a "social experiment" not an ASF build tool,
some of this was reach out. Don't forget that some non-ASF projects that
Gump built became ASF projects, e.g. ws-juddi.

I'm about to propose that we change that 'social experiment' tagline and we turn this into a more solid thing for the ASF.

I personally think that it is abusive for comitters to use their access
to add projects that are not required.

I don't know as much (partly since I added a few of them ;-). Other folks had the ability to -1 any. We used to run once a day, and as such it wasn't such a big deal.

Right, we also used to run at 60%, things are changing.

Examples of such projects are Barcode4j, Antworks, Smartfrog, but I'm
sure I can found more (and, in fact, I'll write some code to outline
those and automate the checks).

I propose that we remove those projects from the gump.xml profile that
is ran on brutus (we can keep the descriptors there, that doesn't hurt)
but I would like to remove all those "leaves" projects from using
cpu/disk space.

WTDY?

We have grown a lot larger in recent months, and are using a lot more
CPU/disk. Further, we are trying to do more than one Gump workspace (JDK1.5,
Kaffe, etc.) As such, maybe we do have to trim down. If it helps with that
that, then go for it.

For Gump to scale (as Niclas mentioned) we do need to federate somehow, but
that is a separate topic & this seems a practical step until then. Folks who
really want to be included could petition us for re-inclusion.

I find particularely silly that we have a projects that:

 1) are not from the ASF
 2) no ASF project depends on
 3) and they constantly don't build and nobody seems to care

I find the combination of the above enough to remove a project from our builds.

--
Stefano.