On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 05:19:29 +0800, Niclas Hedhman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Monday 22 November 2004 03:43, Brett Porter wrote:
> > Is this a Maven generated descriptor adding them in, or hand-rolled
> > and added because Maven needs it?
>
> Not sure what you mean.

I'm not sure what you mean either :)

Let me get clear on what I think was what happened:
1. Project had no jakarta-velocity dependency
2. Maven build started failing on velocity missing
3. jakarta-velocity was added to gump descriptor to correct, though
excalibur doesn't need it.

What probably happened was the local repository was flushed - it was
originally set up to have a series of dependencies for plugins. In
Maven, plugin dependencies are fetched alongside a project's, so if
velocity it being fetched and not in project.xml, it is because one of
the plugins being used by the goals being called needs it.

The solution is to have the plugins built in gump, using the proper
dependencies in gump. The workaround is to have the missing jar placed
in the local repository.

Maven could be clearer on why it is downloading a certain dependency,
so I'll raise a feature request on that.

> This brings up the issue; Gump seems to be using 1.0. Is that sufficient or is
> an upgrade recommended?

I was holding off asking this because I wanted to be building Maven
itself. Since 1.0.2 should only be a couple of weeks off, it might be
worth waiting for that, though I don't think any of these bugs will be
affecting current gump users.

Who has access to brutus enough to help me start planning where to
install Maven as it gets built so that other projects can use it? Adam
was the main person I spoke to initially and has been very busy/quiet
lately.

Cheers,
Brett