Thomas wrote:
Hi !

I have now uploaded a working compy of the Gump3 pressentation. The
webapplication is far from done. But it would be nice with some
feedback. The code is a bit of a mess so refactoring is indeed needed.
Mostly I would like idees on what functionality you would like to se in
the application.

Also a comment on the documentation/installation manual would be nice.

My spelling isn't that good so, be nice ;) but don't keep quite either.
(need to learn)

So if you have the time please take a look.

I'm on it.

A few comments:

 1) thanks for keeping the dynagump resources!

2) I never used struts but seems easy to learn by example, which is good for this (and probably much easier than cocoon for newbies)

3) I never ran a JSP on this machine (macosx) and I'm experiencing all sort of defective behaviors in jetty due to the jsp compiler trying to open a jni library as a zip file (???)

4) the web application should *never* start with a directory listing, the index.jsp page should be in the root not in a folder that you have to guess where to go

5) the tar.gz package should be a war and should contain the classes compiled into /WEB-INF/classes so that you can deploy-and-forget (or at least just change the JDBC parameters)

 6) the SQL data seems weird, but this is probably not your fault

7) java 1.5 is, IMNSHO, a little too bleeding edge (especially on a mac) and eclipse gives all sort of warnings. Not having used generics yet, I still have no clue of what they mean and how serious they are. You might want to look into that, though, code should not have warnings.

8) I have not looked into the code yet, as I still can't run JSP pages, but I will as soon as I can.

9) there should be a /legal folder that contains all the licenses of the libraries

10) and would also be nice to have a file that depicts the dependencies between the libraries (so that we could have gump building dynagump)

11) you say the mysql jdbc driver is in /lib but it's not (or at least, not as a standalone jar)... but I suggest we keep it out since it's GPL stuff.

In any case, it looks like a very good job from where I stand. Will know more as soon as I can get it running ;-)

--
Stefano, who is pleased to have been reminded on why he hated JSPs in the first place :-)