On Oct 29, 2005, at 6:31 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

I can't promise to find time to do more research

No worries, I got it. :-)

Most trivial idea: ${changenumber} expands to a value that ends with a
new-line or a cariage-return new-line sequence.

This guess is correct, and it turns out that it's a subversion problem, not an Ant or platform issue. The problem is that 'svnversion -n .' is returning a value that contains a newline when the directory whose version you are getting is 'exported,' when it should not be adding a newline. (FWIW, i think the problem is at svnversion's main.c, line 287.) This output, recorded to a file using the output attribute of an Ant <exec> task, is then read back in to a property using Ant's <loadfile> task. Ant diligently includes the newline as a part of the property read in from the file, which I'm sure is correct behavior on the part of Ant. Go Ant! :-D When the property is later added to the manifest, it includes the newline, which causes the manifest to be invalid.

I'll need to follow up with the subversion folks. Thanks for all the help from the gumpers!

andrew