The build script is overly complicated, but the relevant part is:

<project name="Velocity" default="world" basedir=".."
xmlns:artifact="urn:maven-
artifact-ant">

  <path id="basedir-os">
    <pathelement location="${basedir}" />
  </path>
  <!-- This is the relative base dir. This must be the root of the   -->
  <!-- Velocity distribution. All relative pathes are prefixed with  -->
  <!-- velocity.dir                                                  -->
  <pathconvert property="velocity.dir" refid="basedir-os" targetos="unix"/>

After enabling debug in Gump, I could see that Ant found the right directory
for the pathconvert, but prepended a ':' character to it.  As the comments
say, this is used to build paths for the rest of the script, so none of the
resulting paths are valid.  The build.xml file lives in the 'build'
directory of the project, so ".." is the srcdir from Gump's point of view.