On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some time back we had a discussion that skipTest was the preferred
> property to use when we want to tell mvn not to run tests - well, it
> doesn't work, at least not for Cocoon 2.2.x.
>
> My theory is that those properties are interpreted by the surefire
> plugin rather than mvn itself.

Yes, they are plugin parameters:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/test-mojo.html

And from the docs the skipTests parameter was added in version 2.4 of
the surefire plugin

>  Unlike the version of mvn we cannot
> influence the version of plugins used by a project, so whether skipTests
> works or not depends on the project.

Yes and cocoon is using version 2.3 of the surefire plugin (see
pluginManagement section of the pom):

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/parent/pom.xml

skipTests was introduced to replace the more verbose
"maven.test.skip=true" - you could use that instead though.

Niall