Hi Luis,

great that you are looking into the FOP build failure.

On 2013-08-20, Luis Bernardo wrote:

> "The most common occurrence of problems here is introducing a new
> dependency without the Gump project definition being updated. A note
> to general@gump.apache.org letting us know what is going on is
> appreciated when this occurs."

well, we should probably fix that :-)

First things first, you - as any other Apache committer - have write
access to the project descriptor, so in theory you could change the
descriptor yourself.

> So it looks like I cannot fix it myself but rather I have to ask you
> to do so. A new jar, fontbox-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar, was added to the
> project, so I assume you need to update the project definition. Let me
> know if there is anything else I can do.

Gump builds fontbox from trunk - and I've just added it for FOP as the
pdfbox project didn't express interest in Gump.  What you get is
/srv/gump/public/workspace/pdfbox/fontbox/target/fontbox-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
as you can see in the CLASSPATH definition of
<http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/xml-fop/xml-fop/gump_work/build_xml-fop_xml-fop.html>

So in this is not a case of a missing dependency but rather a case of
your dependency breaking backwards compatibility.  This is why FOP
participates in Gump, finding such problems before they get into a
release.

Given that you are requesting a 1.x version and fontbox by now is at 2.x
breaking backwards compatibility may be fine for fontbox.  Then again
your dependency is a -SNAPSHOT anyway, you could probably jump to
2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.  Having no insight into either FOP or fontbox I won't
judge.

>From the top of my head I see the following options:

* you adapt FOP to deal with (and require) fontbox 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
  instead

* you lobby fontbox to bring back the APIs you depend on

* you find a way to use fontbox that works with 1.8 and 2.0

* Gump builds fontbox from a branch other than trunk

Cheers