Hello, everyone.

In conjunction with our proposal to Apache for the UIMA framework, we have submitted a Charter to develop a community based standard for the UIMA Specification (not implementation) to OASIS (www.oasis-open.org). OASIS is a standards development organization with a good track record for developing and promoting open standards around many things including XML processing, SOA, document management and web services.

The UIMA Specification is intended to parallel the efforts of the open-source UIMA Java Framework implementation. It is a platform-independent specification intended to facilitate interoperability of text and multi-modal analytics across modalities, platforms and frameworks. The Apache proposal for the UIMA framework references this work, and would comply with this standard. (A rough analogy might be the Apache web server as the Apache project, and the HTTP protocol standard from W3C as the corresponding standards work).

If you are interested in developing the UIMA Specification standard, can commit to participating in the technical committee and want to be one of its "founding members", you can do so by following the standard OASIS process for this. The first step would be to become a member of OASIS ( http://www.oasis-open.org/join/categories.php) by October 5th (if you're not already a member :-), and to let us know of your intent to be a founding member; we already have four others from different organizations/companies signed up as founding members.

On October 5 there will be an open Call For Participation to OASIS members for participation in the UIMA Technical Committee. The founding membership must be formed before October 5th.

-Marshall Schor