On Feb 14, 2007, at 6:00 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
This is a lazy-consensus approval vote.

Huh? These types of things should require activing
voting, not lazy-consensus. Otherwise the Incubator
is worthless.

I am just quoting from the IP Clearance docs:

Fourth paragraph (if you count the text box as a paragraph), "Note that only lazy concensus is required."

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

In the case of IP Clearance, another PMC has already voted to accept the code, and it is supposed to be a crossing of t's and dotting of i's which is actively managed by a member or officer (per the template). Presumably we trust a member or officer to not cheat.

Considering the possible legal implications of getting IP wrong, it may be a good thing to require the formal approval just to force more eyes to look at things. That said, I hesitate to increase the incubator workload when the work amounts to covering another PMC's butt for them :-)

Yours in Waffles,
-Brian