I think voting for a mentor is the good thing to do, at least on the dev / ppmc
(assuming it is
healthy) of the podling. At least that was my condition to be added as a Mentor
for Trinidad at that
time. I like the group that needs to work with you to make the final call (as a
general rule, there
can always be exceptions of course)

Even though we use the concept of merit heavily, that doesn't mean that merit
is always a match with
that specific project.

OTOH this is also a non issue, since there is rather a shortage of mentors, so
there probably will
vote down a mentor when they need one :)

(not really a reply to your mail, just some thoughts about this)

Mvgr,
Martin