Bernd Fondermann wrote:
JSecurity was deemed as a potential naming conflict risk (much in the same
way Ki is now), so we dropped it, and finally came to a vote to change the
name to Ki.  But this resolution took over 4 or 5 months to finally come to
a favorable vote, so we didn't want to go through that painful process all
over again, since it seemed like no one was willing to come to consensus on
other names.  It is very difficult to find an even remotely-correlated name
in the security space that might not infringe on another
site/company/product/trademark/patent.

ok, I see. At least, for JSecurity, these conflicts never came up, did they?
http://www.juniper.net/security/

That's why so many project go with names from biona or mythology.

Given the difficulty and the enormous amount of time spent already, we just
wanted to move on to focus exactly on the things you mention, and only worry
about changing the name yet again if it was absolutely required by the
Incubator to do so.  That being said, if the Incubator says "the Ki podling
must change its name", then fine, we'll be happy to do so, but most of us
didn't want to spend the effort worrying about it unless necessary.

To me, it seems neccessary, but this is just my 2 eurocent.
It took 4 months to move from JSecurity to Ki, just because, very like this thread, people are *discussing* for ever something which would be immediately solved if common sense was applied : avoid as much as possible any risk, and change the name if the risk is becoming a reality.

It will take another 4 months to decide to switch from Ki to something more appropriate if we follow the same pattern. That's a waste of time and energy.

Bernd, I'm totally on the same page with you.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org