Roy T. Fielding wrote:
On Jun 15, 2009, at 5:56 AM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
I like the idea, though I would prefer that a larger group
of committers (outside Yahoo!) were known up front because
that sounds like a big code base. Any chance you could convince
some of the former coders to join in the proposal?

This is definitely a valid concern. We will try to get more people involved now that the process has begun, but I don't know if or how soon we can get some external developers to sign up. It's a bit of a catch 22, since we don't have the source out there yet.

I know, and they may be prevented (by former employee contract) from
talking about it until after Y! makes the code public.  I would just
place it on the "wish list" of things to do before graduating.

BTW, Traffic Server is a registered trademark (2304928) owned by
Yahoo!  Is that trademark going to be assigned to the ASF as well
or does the project plan on changing the name?

I would like to see how various bits compare to implementations
within httpd, particularly the protocol bits.

We have run TS through Co-Advisor a number of times, and it fairs pretty well (as well as Squid, at least). Would it help putting up the results somewhere (I'd have to verify that this is possible and doable first though)? And as I mentioned in the proposal draft, we run TS + apache together for many Y! sites, and they work very well together.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that acceptance was conditional
on the code quality.  I am just interested in seeing if our
projects can help each other once the code is available under
the Apache License.

If there is a scarcity of mentors, then I will mentor this project.

I think I will have cycles to help.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic