Leo Simons wrote:

> Here's what I understand:
>
> 1) Apache rule: all apache releases must be made by PMCs
> 2) Apache rule: a release needs at least 3 binding +1s and more +1s than -1s
> 3) from #1 and #2 it follows that all incubator releases must be made
> by the incubator PMC

> If you see a way to fix this mess, please do. I suspect rule #1 is the
> whopper that is just quite hard to get around and from it follows a
> lot of other mess. I don't know exactly where that rule comes from,
> but it is very old and it has always seemed very solid, too. IANAL.

Mechanically, it's possible to recharter Incubator PMC as a board committee
which has the authority to assemble and dissolve fully empowered PPMCs so
they could begin binding votes from the outset.  The 'P' would change from
'pre' to 'provisional'.  I don't know if this is what we want to do, or not.