On Nov 10, 2009, at 8:29 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM, C. Michael Pilato <cmpil...@collab.net > wrote:

Subversion client and server that doesn't use a DAV layer at all. The Subversion community has never released binaries -- ever -- not do we plan
to.

That would a completely new philosophy for an Apache project, which always aimed
very heavily on distributions. It might either enforce to look at
legal aspects in a
different view - or lead to changing your philosophy. :-) Personally,
I don't see any
reason why things like creation of Windows binaries should be left to
outsiders. (Apart
from CollabNets business interests, which I wouldn't like to count.)

Apache's distributions are source distributions as a requirement.

Binary distributions are just a convenience for users. If subversion doesn't see any benefit for the project or for users to release binaries, it is not a requirement. Especially as third parties are providing binaries. Just the licensing/trademark issue of what the third parties call their releases. Which question is best left to our licensing/trademark team.

Craig

Jochen