On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Jochen Wiedmann
<jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM, C. Michael Pilato <cmpil...@collab.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Subversion client and server that doesn't use a DAV layer at all.  The
>> Subversion community has never released binaries -- ever -- not do we plan
>> to.
>
> That would a completely new philosophy for an Apache project, which always
> aimed
> very heavily on distributions.

Not new at all. I know that one of the oldest Java projects here,
Cocoon, once only released buildable(!) source code.

What is happening in some Java projects, via Maven's release plugin,
is disturbing since the "source release" only exist in the subversion
repository. The -source.jar is packaged in a non-buildable format
optimized for IDE source integration and not to be reproducable. Some
ASF projects (I think including some of Maven's own artifacts and
subprojects) are now in total opposite of "old school source releases"
and effectively only releases "binaries" containing re-packaged
sources and one has to go to source repository to find the 'real'
source code for that release.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer