On 6/5/2011 10:43 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> I posted a similar statement yesterday. Personally, I think the traffic on
> this list has settled down a lot in the last 24 hours and is now focusing in
> on topics more relevant to this list. But maybe that is just because it was
> Saturday :-)

Agreed, just some quick thoughts...

> What I am still waiting to hear on are:
> 1. The amount of code in the project that the grant didn't give to us under
> the Apache License.

List published by Sam, and Christian suggests this reflects the OOo repo...
http://people.apache.org/~rubys/openoffice.files.txt
Actually tearing into that repo for files differently-copyrighted might
be a task for RAT :)

> 2. The amount of work that will be required to rework dependencies.

Seems the list is manageable...
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/External/Modules

Note that an unworkable dependency dropped by ASF Office can (and perhaps
even should) be retained by LibreOffice in their distribution.

> 3. Whether the number of initial committers will be sufficient to start the
> project (this is probably going to be very subjective).

After a matter of several more days, I'm optimistic at the current growth.

> 4. Whether there are enough mentors who have the time to devote to this.
> Since this is a very large undertaking I'd appreciate a bit more than just
> their name on the wiki but perhaps an actual estimate of how much time they
> have to devote to the project.

I mostly replied to make sure everyone is clear.

Mentors are here to serve as guides.  As mentors, we are not coders, or
documentors.  We often help with the little things (starting the status
pages, performing initial list creation, and introducing folks to ASF
resources like Jira or Bugzilla, svn and other resources).  Having some
of those resources directly represented as mentors is going to speed
things up enormously and help answer "Why does the ASF do it *that* way?"
in a more thorough way.

To the extent that the mentors help "manage" the project, they are
participants in the podling just like all of the other contributors.
They may have the only 'binding' vote on certain matters, but the
community starts off, day one, as a community of equals.  Earned merit
follows based on individual contributions.

So I feel that 4 is already covered.