> From: Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
> Date: 06/05/2011 04:34 PM
> Subject: Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
>
> On 6/5/11 11:21 AM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> >
> > We should also remember that, with Oracle abandoning OO, we are being
> > used to facilitate their business relations with IBM. IBM could (and
> > still can) decide to put its efforts into LibreOffice and while we may
> > have philosophical differences over license, they surely don't as we
> > witnessed when they transferred their efforts from our Harmony project
> > to the GPL'd OpenJDK.
>
> Interesting point.  I wonder if there is an explanation for this
> inconsistency from the IBM perspective.

I think it is an error to believe that there are only two choices here,
Apache or LibreOffice.  There are many other reasonable open source
foundations.  IBM has good relations with many of them.  We have employees
who contribute to many projects at Apache.  We would be honored to work on
OpenOffice at Apache.  We think it is a good fit.  The license is one
factor, but not the only factor.

So, it does not logically follow that if a proposal at Apache is rejected
that we go to TDF/LO.

-Rob