On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We only benefit if the code is contributed to us, as we only accept
> voluntary contributions.  Nobody is going to rifle thru LO's repository
> looking for juicy bits to snarf, we don't work like that.  What we're
> hoping for is to attract devs who work on LO to join our project as
> committers, so whatever contributions they'd like to offer can get folded
> back to us without a lot of fuss.

As the trees diverge, it will get harder to give code to you both.
What if some changes depend on other GPL code? Your insistence on
Apache licensed work will make it hard for many people to contribute
to you. I find it ironic that the Apache license is permissive, but
the people don't want any free/libre code mixed with it. That is not
permissive.

> As I said earlier, the hope is that LO will pull from us for the core
> bits, and almost immediately we'll have the bits stored in svn mirrored
> to our github acct to facilitate that.  While I wouldn't recommend this
> any time soon, at some point the ASF may try to tie access to the OOo brand
> to the use of a substantial amount of our software, so as not to confuse
> the public about the nature of the use of the mark.

LibreOffice will for a long time be using a substantial amount of
"your" software. Given that LibreOffice is what caused Oracle to give
up their trademark, I would think you would offer it to them also.

> I don't feel the need to debate software licensing with a GPL fan on an
> apache.org list.  Suffice it to say that I expect downstream projects
> to respect the license, and sublicense it if necessary in a way that
> doesn't invalidate our license.  There are treatments of this subject
> by FSF peeps on the net if you are interested (no, I'm not going to
> look them up here).

I didn't want to argue about this minor point either, just point out
that it seems paradoxical. If I got some interesting Apache-licensed
code, the first thing I would do is put GPL at the top. Microsoft has
created licenses that say that code can't be used in conjunction with
copyleft.

-Keith