On Jun 6, 2011, at 7:27 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Christian Lippka <c...@lippka.com> wrote:
>>
>> While the technical analyze here seems (should not use that word) correct my
>> understanding is that missing bits could still be provided if requested. But
>> this must be answered by people who are making the negotiations.
>
> I'll share my understanding.
>
> My first input was that any incubator proposal that was not
> accompanied by a substantial software grant would not get serious
> consideration.  After a serious of miscommunications on both (ASF and
> Oracle's) sides I got on the phone directly with the Oracle VP driving
> this, and said that all we needed at this time was a substantial list
> to start from.  If we needed more, we could discuss that later.
>
> This was approximately noon EDT on 31 May.  After discussions with
> lawyers and collection of a list of files, the Software Grant was sent
> via email at 8:50PM PDT the same day.  Others with no association to
> either IBM or Oracle can verify this basic timeline.
>
> My best guess is that while the list may be incomplete, it contains
> only files that Oracle could determine with absolutely certainty under
> incredible time pressure that they have the necessary rights to
> include a standard ASF software grant.
>
> While Oracle has absolutely no obligation to produce anything more,
> and people are welcome to factor that into their decisions once this
> comes up to a vote, nothing I have seen has indicated that anybody at
> Oracle is operating in anything other than good faith.
>
> It is my expectation that if we make reasonable requests and that if
> those requests are within Oracle's power to fulfill those requests,
> that we will obtain subsequent software grants.

Sam, for me this is the only area where I question whether I will vote for the
proposal.  From what I read in Christian Lohmaier's summary Oracle has supplied
about 50% of the OOo source code. His summary ended with "Apache OOo is far
from being able to deliver something that is even close to OOo as it is now."
As I've said before, I don't want to see the project start off with an
extremely large amount of work to do just to get something working.  In later
posts I see you got more files added to the list by Oracle and a list of more
missing files from Simon.  I would hope that the list of files to be delivered
grows to the point where those far more familiar with the code than I am can
verify it is at a reasonable starting point before we vote on this.

Ralph