Hi,

2011/6/7 Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>:
>> 3) LOTS of people download OOo
>> Like maybe 10% of the human population of the planet.  And its a big file.
>> Initially we engaged Akamai, but it quickly became too expensive. Serving up
>> downloads of OOo was pretty intense. I know Apache has all that web server
>> download traffic and all...but I'm telling you Sun.com quailed at the
>> throughput, and we shouldn't assume our mileage will vary. There will be
>> extraordinary infrastructure costs, because it is end-user software (and
>> there are a LOT of users worldwide). Sun mitigated this problem with
>> mirrors, but of course that screwed download stats.
>
> do you have any numbers?
>
> I am really curious - people are always saying that but I cannot get
> out numbers. I believe all you said, I just would like to know how
> much it is actually

Have a look at http://marketing.openoffice.org/marketing_bouncer.html
Maybe a bit outdated and actually there is no release date in the
displayed time. The old load balancer (bouncer) usually failed totally
when a new version was announced, therefore OOo switched to Suse's
Mirrorbrain.

Volker

--
Volker Merschmann