Joe Schaefer wrote:

> I don't see how this has any bearing on the vote.  The ASF doesn't require
> entities to disclose whether or not any particular contribution includes a
> patent license.

We do, however, have the patent clause to ensure that contributed code comes
with license for any necessary and owned IP.  What would not be covered
would be any hypothetical 3rd party patent(s) that might potentially be
infringed by a contribution.

> If at some point there needs to be a discussion about outstanding patent
> claims regarding the code grant to the ASF, that is best done in the
> confines of a podling, on the podling's public dev list.

Well, started perhaps with ASF Legal, and then discussed as determined
appropriate by our lawyers.  Which suggests to me that Sam ought to quietly
take the lead on this issue, and we should put it aside for the moment.

        --- Noel