Doug Meil,

Top-posting is generally less than idea, but I want to respond to the
overall theme of your message, not to individual points and sentences.

The attitude of various chunks of the US government to Open Source has
changed radically over the last few years. What would have been
institutionally impossible is now encouraged. It is unfair to
criticize these people for being under the radar when their management
told them to be under the radar and claim that the leopard cannot
change its spots. That situation has changed. The code base exists, it
serves a particular collection of needs, and here they are.

Lots of incubator proposals come from groups of people with little or
no prior track record at Apache or in Open Source at all. The point of
incubation is to give them a chance to either learn how to be an
Apache TLP -- or not. We do not tell people 'go away, you haven't
enough pedigree.' Mentors have more work to do when the nucleus of a
podling is comparatively inexperienced.

Further, I don't know of any policy of the ASF in general, or the
incubator in particular, that insists that a group of itch-scratchers
make any particular attempt to make any particular gesture towards any
particular existing community as a prerequisite of incubation. Five of
my friends and I could turn up here tomorrow with a proposal to fork
an existing TLP to scratch our particular itch, and, so far as I can
tell, the incubator PMC would evaluate the proposal on its merits,
independent of the fork.

You are of course entitled to your opinions and concerns, but if you
think that there is some policy that supports the position that PMC
members should vote -1 on this proposal due to these issues I wish you
would cite it.

In the past, committers of existing TLP's have been, well,
particularly vigilant in monitoring the progress of 'competing'
podlings. CXF was an example podling of this effect. You are, of
course, welcome to adopt that stance. You are also welcome to slurp up
every line of their code, once in place, if you think that HBase could
benefit from it.

Perhaps needless to say, but as a Mentor-in-waiting, I'm all in favor
of this proposal.

--benson margulies