On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Davanum Srinivas <dava...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> A bit of back story of a slightly similar situation before. We have
> had Axis/Axis2 projects in Apache for a long time and along came the
> XFire proposal (http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CeltiXfireProposal)
> and we had the same kind of discussions as i see here.
>
> Flash forward, Both Axis2 and CXF are flourishing, there are folks who
> are working on components that get used by both projects like
> XmlSchema and WSS4J.
>
> So my 2 cents, take a deep breath and think of ways to collaborate
> even if it means 2 code bases with some common code, it does not have
> to be one code base for one situation/scenario. Do reach out to each
> other, hang out on each others mailing lists to make that
> collaboration happen.

There's another useful analogy with CXF. If a group of people showed
up with a proposal to make a brand new fork and launch on it, I for
one would politely ask them why they feel the need to diverge, and I
might hear something that disturbed me.

However, that's not the situation here. A community of developers
formed inside of a set of institutions that did not allow them to
interact with HBase. Now they exist, and their code exists, and their
rules have changed. They propose to join us. My reaction? "Wonderful!"
It may be that, over time, this group and the existing HBase group
will discover a commonality of interest and goal, and coalesce into
one big happy community. It may also be that differing priorities
won't lead in that direction.