On Dec 20, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

On 20 December 2011 22:35, William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
On 12/20/2011 4:24 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
The proposal says "Existing Flex-related conferences, podcasts and
websites should be allowed to continue using “Flex” as part of their
name - Apache Flex will have to create guidelines for that."

Whilst I don't see any problem with that in principle it would be
really useful to itemise these items so that we know what we are
dealing with.

It's a problem as a blanket statement.  If the project is not going
to donate its name, it needs to pick a new name on its way into the
incubator, before graduation.

The proposal does say the Flex trademark is being donated. The above
is an indication that there are groups already using that mark and
they should be allowed to continue to do so. My concern is that there
may be a for profit using this trademark that expects to continue to
use it. That, I imagine, would be unacceptable. even not-for-profits
might present complications.

Better to understand what these might be in advance.

A quick search of the internet shows these potential conflicts as well:

flex.org run by Adobe Platform Evangelism Team; will this site die or will Apache be expected to maintain it with volunteers?

http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/

flex.at © 2008 Flex. All rights reserved. Site by instant>>>>

flex.com ISP in Hawaii

openshift.redhat.com/app/flex

I'd really like to have trademarks and legal take a closer look at this... We know what a nightmare name conflicts are, even when the name in question is as well-known and well-understood as this one.

Craig

We love adoption.  We don't want entities to misrepresent themselves
as the ASF project itself or that they are endorsed by the ASF.

Exactly

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)