Hey folks,

I felt I had to take a look at this. Like Ralph I was very concerned
when I saw Ethan's e-mail. Thanks a lot for writing it Ethan, and
thanks for writing it with so much detail.

I just read all the e-mail about bloodhound I could find (that I had
pretty much ignored when I saw other people I trust were looking at
it) and then I read the last year of trac e-mail traffic (fwiw, the
relevant/interesting e-mail concerning the bloodhound proposal is all
in the last 2 months, older relevant e-mail is not on publicly
archived lists). I have to say I'm a lot less concerned now.

First impression: the trac community is full of really nice people and
it's mailing lists are full of gentle and carefully considered
communication. Very nice to see :-). I wish all open source
communities were like that! I really recommend anyone else trying to
form an opinion goes and looks at trac-dev. In particular you may want
to read the overview one of the core devs from trac wrote for our
benefit:

  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/trac-dev/kMVFq9pkfus/eYMCVfqyUwkJ

The bloodhound proposal and communication around it probably could've
been handled better over the last 9 months or so, but it also could've
been handled much worse. It's a typical example of the difficulty that
exists where a company wants to engage an open source community and
there isn't a strong legal/commercial story yet. All the parties seem
to be trying hard to come up with the best approach for everyone, and
the apache approach seems like it should be able to help produce a
healthy kind of collaboration.

The bloodhound proposers look like they're doing pretty well now in
communicating intent and approach clearly on the trac mailing list,
and the trac folks in turn seem pretty clear on what is and isn't
going on.

Bloodhound at apache will probably be better for all, than bloodhound
not at apache. If things continue on their current path, apache rules
and processes should help minimize negative impact on trac so that the
effect on trac will be a definitive net positive. I remember a bit
about trac internals from years ago and ISTR it's pretty cleanly split
into lots of little bits...so I imagine bloodhound can (and should)
take a careful licensing path contributing patches to core upstream as
BSD while making new/rewritten plugins available upstream as ALv2.
That seems to be the intent, too. Proof will be in the pudding :-D

I do think it would be nice and appropriate if someone updates the
proposal page along the lines that Ethan mentioned, probably by simply
removing the somewhat unfair depictions of the trac community.
(perhaps edit the current page, but keep a link there to the version
that was voted on, for clarity).

All in all I think bloodhound should continue on, and the incubator
PMC should trust the mentors to keep things on their current track
(hehe) of collaboration-where-possible, rather than turn this into an
overheated debate.

cheers,

Leo