On 10 January 2012 22:03, Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl> wrote:
> Whilst I agree there is value in demonstrating a starting podling what a good
> report
> should look like by doing it for them, I also strongly believe in learning by
> doing, so I
> would still propose that a podling has a go at it themselves, before having a
> mentor step
> in. In the end, this is also a question of "mentoring style" and I think we
> should leave
> that up to the mentors and podlings.
>
> A mentor should be actively involved in the discussion about the report
> though, ensuring
> that the end result is good.

+1 a mentoring role is one of guiding not doing. I don't support
mentors writing reports for podlings. I expect that at least one
mentor is involved in the writing of those reports.

If people want to ask mentors to comment on reports when they sign off
that's fine, but if you ever see that I've signed off on a report it
means that I have at least read the thread that produced the report
and might have already commented on it on the dev lists. Isn't that
how it should be?

Do mentors sign off on reports they don't agree with? I hope not. If
not then all we need to do is ensure the mentors themselves are
capable of writing better reports.

Ross