Fiar enough. That being the case, I would like to join as a committer (there are enough great mentors already).

Cheers,
Hadrian

On 04/09/2012 12:15 AM, Kevin Kluge wrote:
Hi Hadrian, yes, we have been discussing this.  There are a number of options
today that make the system easier to develop against than it might seem. It's
possible to have a single node cloud with KVM, where the CloudStack management
server and KVM host are the same server.   With XenServer or XCP you can work
with a two node system.  Or you can have  a VM for the management server and a
physical host for the hypervisor.   There is also a XenServer API simulator
available, which would allow development with XenServer with just two VMs (one
for the management server and one for the XenServer simulator).   CloudStack
developers have used these environments for most development to date.

We have also developed a software simulator.  This simulator emulates
hypervisor hosts under management through a single process.  Although it was
originally built for scalability testing, it should be possible to use it for
development and functional testing as well.  We have been thinking this would
be the best way to enable the larger community to easily develop and test
against CloudStack long term.  This should work today, but there are no good
docs on how to set it up, nor do we have much experience with it in this
context.  This is something we need to do to help the new community members
engage (or we need some intrepid community members to try it and document the
successful path).

We have also discussed donating and/or hosting build and test infrastructure
for pending commits to the project.  This would be a public system test
environment.   Our automated test tools can take a cloud description in JSON
and implement it, provided the hosts and storage are already provisioned (e.g.,
via PXE boot).  While we have some good building blocks, we need to improve the
automated system tests and implement some glue code to provide a process that
can be driven from a web UI.   If this is what the community needs I think we
will be able to provide the hardware.  In terms of timing I am more concerned
about the test development and glue to make it all work than the hardware
acquisition, and I believe this is a few months away.

-kevin