I like the idea, but I suggest to do it in a different way:

Why not to have volunteers who are already mentoring different podlings
with different sizes of both number of people and the size of code base,
these mentors then volunteer:

1- Update the release process docs
2- Report their their experience

Which is exactly what you said but the only change IMO is about who should
volunteer