On 04/11/2012 09:14, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Salut Olivier!
>
>> AFAIK not possible (git is poor for supporting such sparse checkout mode).
>> So we (infra folks) will have to maintain one git repo per component
>> and create a new git repo for each new component (IMHO a pain ..).
>> In some case git is probably nice but not here !
>
> indeed, for what I can see, not all apache-commons components are
> supported in git - adding an extra step, every time a new component
> has to be created, would be not a benefit for the project.
>
>> We have very similar situation in maven projects (with some components
>> which have their own lifecycle) and we decided to not move those parts
>> to git.
>
> nice to see that another ASF community chan share a past similar experience!
>
>> But hey what is most important build a community around cool
>> code/projects or being able to use the last "� la mode" scm tool ?
>
> as I wrote in a previous message, I personally just need a SCM that
> allows me continue developing software in a comfortable way :)
> Mohammad, Eric, maybe SVN fits better for Mayhem?

A git repo has to be seen like a monolithic piece of code with its full
history. If Mayhem components are aiming to have completely different
lifecycle with their own release independent, then many git repos would
be needed.

I tend to think that 'Less is more', that 'git is now a defacto
standard', and that releasing all Mayhem components at the same time,
with the same version number (even if there is no change for some of
them) is easier for the user.

But I am perfectly fine with SVN, except that we would create a
structure more difficult to migrate to git later on.

Thx, Eric