On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> I was thinking that it might be a good idea to keep things simple and have
> Marvin simply appoint the Ombudsman for an indeterminate term.

While I am now inclined to support establishing an experimental ombud role
given Jim's participation, there have been several people in this thread who
have expressed skepticism, particularly about scope of responsibilities and
role redundancy.  The proposal as it stands does not have consensus.

Except in extraoardinary circumstances, the PMC chair doesn't have any greater
role in setting policy than any other PMC member, so I don't see what
justifies having me decide things.  Far from arbitrarily selecting winners and
losers, the chair is supposed to make sure all voices are heard.

I suggest reviewing the thread and drawing up a modified, more concrete
proposal which attempts to address the concerns that have been expressed.

I would also like to make one more suggestion: please consider preferring a
gender-neutral term such as "ombud" while maintaining the traditional term
"ombudsman" as an alias only for compatibility's sake.

    http://web.mit.edu/ombud/

    *This office uses all four terms —- ombud, ombuds, ombudsperson, and
    ombudsman.

We use "chair", not "chairman", after all.  The fact that the position is 95%
likely to go to someone male because the ASF gender imbalance is so horrible
merely underscores the urgency of improving our outreach.

Marvin Humphrey