> However they both contain binaries, which is not good.
> Third party jars should *not* be included in SCM nor in source releases.

These are not binary artifacts containing our project's code. They are
our build tool and immediate dependencies that are not published in
maven. I've looked around to find TL projects that also use sbt and
they also include the sbt jar in the source release. For instance
Apache Kafka does the same thing:

https://kafka.apache.org/downloads.html

> Where is the KEYS file?
The keys file is here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/spark/KEYS

This is where we put it based on the incubator release guidelines.
Were you actually asking where the file was or suggesting it is
required to include it in VOTE threads?