On 9 February 2014 06:47, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > WDYT?
>>
>> Non-trivial; maintaining the meta-data needed to accurately generate
>> the NOTICE file is likely to require more effort than writing the
>> NOTICE file itself.
>>

> Actually, this sounds like a case where the effort for any individual
> project outweighs the benefit of saving the time, but the total effort
> across many projects would make the effort somewhat worth while.  In
> particular, something that enhances the communication between projects and
> between the author of the dependency and the users of that dependency would
> be very helpful.

AFAICT, the only way to amortise the effort between projects is to
have a shared register of NOTICE requirements for each dependency.
(basically each unique license text).

However, that is not sufficient - the NOTICE file must only include
attributions for bits that are actually included in the artifact to
which the NOTICE (and LICENSE) applies. That is something that is
unique to each project, and may change between releases.

Also as already mentioned, source attributions may sometimes be necessary.

> As such, this sounds like a great thing to add to maven.  If it provided me
> with a way to look at all my dependencies and examine my notices file for
> missing acknowledgments, that would be helpful.  Moreover, if there were a
> way for the community of users to upload sample acknowledgements and for
> the owners of such packages to reject or accept these acknowledgments, this
> would crowdsource the effort of approval.

This is an ASF-specific requirement.
I really don't see how crowd-sourcing this to people outside the ASF
is going to help reduce effort.
Also, only the ASF has a vested interest in getting this right.