Two thoughts ...

 -- replying to --
From: Bertrand Delacretaz [mailto:bdelacre...@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 00:33
To: Incubator General
Subject: Re: P. An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Of course, it isn't politic to ask a high profile mentor to recuse
> themselves for lack of helping....

Maybe we need to add "no politics allowed" to our collection of slogans ;-)

If someone's not active as a mentor, it's perfectly fine to politely
ask them if they intend to become active again. If's also fine for
mentors to be temporarily inactive, they should just let others know
so that replacements can be arranged.

<orcmid>
    One valuable contribution of a mentor is demonstration of accountability.
    By that I mean "providing an account" (what accountants do), not the
    common notion of something to do with obligation and duty.

    Mentors in their interactions with PPMCs can provide certainty with
    regard to their own presence by being visible and indicating when they
    are unavailable.  Mentors should not be mysterious.

    With regard to this general concern about status-seeking, perhaps it
    would be useful to have mentor apprentices who themselves are being
    coached (off-list) and who are discouraged from serving on multiple
    PPMCs until they have demonstrated consistency.  One could go so far
    as have PPMCs rate their mentors (since measures need to come from
    somewhere).  I offer this only as identifying an area to think about.
    Being willing and consistent at demonstrating involvement and being
    available needs some form of encouragement and also accountability.
</orcmid>

-Bertrand